Thursday, November 10, 2011

Still here, just a little more tan :)


I have finally really settled down into a routine here.  I am over the "shell shock" of being on a tropical island, so now I am able to actually balance having fun, launching balloons and getting some of my PhD research done :)  Here is a picture of me working in the "crate" enjoying my new favorite drink ... Coconut Water (really really yummy and pretty darn hydrating after a long day in the salty water).
At work drinking my new favorite beverage :)
I was lucky enough to celebrate my birthday here.  I had to work the night shift (11pm-4am) so I made myself promise that I would not do any work during the day!  Heather and I went for an off road bike ride (coconut crab holes and everything), then Jared and I hung out on the beach and swam in the water, and Jared, Adam and I went to the CPO Club for Mongolian BBQ.  Here are some pictures
Here I am in my super safe dorky helmet that doesn't fit, but you know we are being "safe"

Here I am at Jakes Beach on my birthday!

We have been making a lot of friends here on the island.  Seems like most of the military people working here are stationed on Diego Garcia for about a year, and they all are interested in talking to new people.  Tomorrow I have plans to go to the British police station for afternoon tea ... which I think will be hilarious.  This surly british police officer said that he would make us a cake for this special occasion, which I think is amazing.  I also met the guy who wrote the book on birds on Diego Garcia, and I was very happy that my Dad gave me a good list of birds to look out for so that I could sound really smart :) 
When you think about it, it is pretty darn amazing that we are in the middle of nowhere (seriously, nothing else is even close to us) Yet we have running water, power, cable, internet.  But of course, being a "first world girl" things I find somewhat annoying are that - whenever I try to use my microwave, i blow a fuse (even though people in other rooms seem to have no problems with theirs), my cable TV doesn't work half the time (even though it works in other peoples rooms) and my phone tends to ring a lot in the middle of the night and no one is there when I drag myself out of bed.  Oh well, if these are the major things I have to complain about, then things must be pretty awesome here!  Its probably a good thing my cable doesn't really work, because I have read 5 books while I have been here (The Help, The Hunger Game series, and the sequel to Pillars of the Earth!!) My Kindle is the best thing EVER!!!
Other things that I wonder about are ... why don't they grow their own food on the island, seems like that could be more efficient and even cheaper (and way tastier), and why do people need to drive around the island in F150s and other big trucks, when they don't pull or haul things and there is only one road?
OH well enough complaining.  I am not sure if I have mentioned this before, but the military (or well ... something related to the military) hosts a series of fun activities on the island.  Swim/bike races, kayak races, golf tournaments etc.  So far Heather and I did a 500 m Kayak race (which doesn't sound so hard, except that it was!!), but tonight I plan to attend the "moonlight wander" 5K race, and on Saturday we are going to do the tip-to-tip 36 mile bike ride!  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Nice blog, haven't checked it out until now. I love that you've described Karl as "surly". I'm headed to tea after my shift and will have to let him know- he'll get a kick out that! Please post the , "censored", Brit club pics, too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the "surly British police officer" here!! Like the blog! What is all this "surly" talk? I disagree with Heather, you need to post the "uncensored" Brit Club pics. Remember, what you saw that night was pure "Team Building"!!! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha ... this was before I really got to know you Karl ... Surly is the last thing I would call you now! :) I am going to write a post about going out ... however I think I will have to censor the brit pics

    ReplyDelete