Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Life on the Island

Sorry I have been so slow to post things here ... the internet has been sooo SLOOOOWWW lately, but I am working late in the "crate" and things seem to be fast enough that I can finally post some pictures!

Life on the atoll seems to be much like life on any island, only even more extreme and without any real tourists.  Actually I think that we may be the only tourists on the island ... and we are working here so hmmm ... My only "complaint" has been that there are not enough fresh veggies here!  Maybe I am spoiled from my CSA, but it is so hard to live off of frozen/canned veggies. Thank goodness I am only here for a month, because I know that this will be the hardest part of living on the island!  One nice thing is that the price is right ... if we eat in the galley breakfast is $2.30, lunch and dinner are both $4.25.

Anyway, the speed limit here ranges from 20-35 mph and most people, including me, tend to drive below the speed limit.  The british military police are in charge of monitoring speed limits ... and apparently the fine is 10 pounds for every mile above the speed limit you are going, so I guess the charges could really add up.  When I am not driving to/from the site (which is about 6 miles from the town), I get around town on my "trusty steed" ... this blue Diamondback "mountain bike", where the chain is rusted and extra greasy :) $15 for the entire month ... and total freedom on the island!  I took this bad boy off roading today on the trails and it actually did pretty good!!!

My wonderful bike!

Everyone is extremely friendly on the island and I think the fact that we are "new blood" here and that we are not military and we are not Pilipino contractors, means that everyone wants to talk to us about why we are on the island, what we are studying and how long we will be here.  The military people all seem a bit bored so they have been stopping by to launch balloons with us, and they are always inviting us to go snorkeling with them, or play softball etc.    

The beaches on the island are amazing!!  And since everyone else seems to have to work during the day, we are often the only people on the beach.  So far I have been able to go snorkeling, sea kayaking and I have plans to try windsurfing when the winds die down a bit!!  (

The beach behind the "CPO club" - during low tide

My feet in the lagoon!
Me and the Indian ocean ... we are not allowed to swim on this side, only the lagoon side.

AMAZING Sunset - near the Plantation

Jakes beach at night.


If you ask anyone here, one of the best places to eat on Diego Garcia is the Sunday Brunch at Officers Club (O-club).  $10 bucks for all you can eat breakfast, including made to order omelets waffles and pancakes.  I plan to eat at the O-club every Sunday if nothing else for the wonder pineapple they serve (and is not available at any of the other breakfast eateries).

Me and Heather before Sunday Brunch at the O-club.

View from our table at the O-club


2 comments:

  1. Did you tell the British military guys that you are an all-star softballer back in the States (and to please pick you for their team)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading this post while watching Felicity (my new obsession) and I just heard the funniest thing. Javier said he wants to get plastic surgery because his life partner now calls him "Javier has no hair have another chocolate eclair" hahaha! Anyway, this show is awesome but I'd rather be with you on that beautiful island!

    PS. Bones starts tomorrow and I'm sooooo excited! Is that sad?

    ReplyDelete