Saturday, November 19, 2011

A day in the life - launching weather balloons

Here is a photo journal of what I do here on the atoll ... well what I do for work here on the atoll.  I know that my family and non-atmopsheric science friends have no idea what I am doing out here ... and even many of my academic friends may have never launched a balloon, so here is:



First stop ... the terminal for breakfast!
Oh YUM! Bacon Egg and Cheese sandwich ... oh and some figure plotting to go with it.

First things first ... call the air traffic control tower and get approval to launch the balloon ... they will delay you if there is a flight about to leave/land.  Whey they say "that is approved" then you are good to go!  Get out the sonde and launch.

Radiosonde in the package.

Radiosonde package open ... there it is!

Attach the radiosonde to the machine that configures it (not sure what it is called)

First recondition the sensor ... burn off anything on the sensor and get it ready to launch.

Start the GAUS program that records the data from the sonde.

Attach the battery to the sonde ... half the sonde is the power supply.

Make sure that the computer registers the radiofrequency of the sonde

Make sure all the sensors are working!

Aspirate the sensor and make sure sensors are working.

Radiosonde and Aspirator

Check to make sure the radiosonde can see satellites

Helium tanks for filling the balloon

Turning on the helium tank

Open the valve and put 30 cub. feet in the balloon

Here is the balloon in the package.

Out of the package, no helium.

Filling the balloon

More helium.

Full balloon ... it only gets bigger as it rises!

Adding the zip tie to keep the helium in the balloon.

Zip tie!

Attach the radiosonde to the balloon with another zip tie.

Getting ready to launch!

Here we go ...

Its rising!

YAY!

Taking in some data ... temperature, humidity, windspeed and direction :)


So thats it!  The whole balloon launching process in just a few short steps ... by the end of my time here it only took me about 5 min ... my first day here I never would have imagined it could be so easy, but it really was :)


OH and due to the crappy internet here ... this post has taken me DAYS to get ready.  Man what a pain.


















































































2 comments:

  1. that's awesome!! now that commercial i posted on your facebook really does remind me of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to post all these pictures. Now I really know what you have been doing there!

    ReplyDelete